If you’re a writer, or even if you aren’t, times at present are difficult with the Covid 19 pandemic. We’re here to help support writers during hard times.
The new format seems to have been well received by regular participants. Things are still in transition for those not yet up to speed or unaware. For clarity I will reiterate them here.
The word count limit has been increased to 2000 words. This is maximum and not a target everyone must hit. The minimum word count is 250 so anything between the two is perfectly acceptable. Poetry, by its nature can drop under the minimum so no need to worry too much.
The submission date has also been moved. This is to see if we can increase time for writers to read and comment on other pieces before hitting the next prompt. The story post will now go live in the third week.
These changes will be monitored so if you have any concerns please raise them.
It would help grow the community if prompts, story post and individual short stories or poems are shared more on social media. I have heard comments relating to that aspect in terms of not being too active. It is worth mentioning this is an area an aspiring author must get to grips with for publication purposes. Most agents and publishing houses will ask for your social media outlets. Just saying!
Make sure you post your story by the third Friday of each month.
Once your story is posted, put a link to it in the comments section of the prompt post. We can then add your story to the Battle Stories line-up post which is published at the start of week three. If you refer and direct a link to the actual prompt post then it will also appear as a ping-back there.
February 2021 Blog Battle
Our word this month is:
Use the hashtag #BlogBattle on Twitter. If you link me in too @GaryJefferies10 then I’ll also retweet it.
Basic Rules: (Updated January 2021)
The Prompt Word will be given the first Friday of every month
Post your story by the Third Friday of Every Month (the same day as the story post goes live).
- A minimum of 250 to a maximum of 2000 words (give or take a few).
- Fictional tale (or true if you really want), poetry and memoirs are all welcome.
- Any genre that fits within PG-13 (or less) including content which must be family friendly.
- Your story must contain the randomly chosen word(s) and/or be centered around the word meaning in a way that shows it is clearly related.
- Go for the entertainment value.
- Put a link back to your #BlogBattle Short Story in the comments section.
- Please tweet and otherwise share your battler buddies’ stories across social media.
- Use the hashtag #BlogBattle when tweeting all the stories so we can cross-share.
ANY PHOTOS INCLUDED WITH THE PROMPT ARE ONLY FOR YOUR BENEFIT AS A PINCH OF INSPIRATION. THEY DON’T NEED TO DICTATE YOUR THEME OR STORY GENRE. ONLY THE WORD OF THE MONTH COUNTS! PHOTOS ARE THANKS TO PUBLIC DOMAIN PHOTO SHARING SITES LIKE UNSPLASH AND PIXABAY.